In recent turn of events, Hulu has decided to drop a reality show that was supposed to feature the family life of hip-hop mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs. The decision became eminent after he was sued by multiple women for alleged sexual assault. The show was in the early stages of development and was produced by James Corden's Fulwell 73 company.
The show was supposed to give a glimpse into Diddy's personal and professional life, as well as his relationship with his six children. The show was reportedly inspired by his Instagram posts, where he often shares videos and photos of his family.
The show was one of the many projects that Diddy has been involved in, as he is also a rapper, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. He is the founder of Bad Boy Entertainment, a record label that has launched the careers of artists like Notorious B.I.G., Mary J. Blige, and Mase.
He was also the owner of Revolt TV, a cable network that focuses on music and culture. But have to stepped down because of all these allegations. He has won three Grammy Awards and two MTV Video Music Awards for his music. He has also donated millions of dollars to various causes, such as education, health, and social justice.
Diddy Strengthens Legal Defense Against Sexual Assault Allegations with a Notable Legal Team
In response to the sexual assault cases filed by Joi Dickerson-Neal and Jane Doe, Diddy, also known as Sean Combs, has enlisted the legal expertise of Jonathan D. Davis, Alyssa M. Pronley, and Anthony C. LoMonaco, according to AllHipHop.
The legal team officially notified the New York County Clerk of their representation on Wednesday (December 13). Notably, the lawsuit involves Diddy, former Bad Boy president Harve Pierre, Bad Boy Records, and Diddy Enterprises as defendants. Despite facing serious allegations, Diddy vehemently denied them earlier in December.
Diddy denies the allegations and vows to fight for his name
Diddy, who is also known as P. Diddy, Puff Daddy, and Brother Love, has been accused of sex trafficking, gang rape, and revenge porn by different women who claim he assaulted them in the 1990s and 2000s. He has denied the allegations and said
"they are "made up and not credible" and "purely a money grab". He also said he will "fight for his name, his family and for the truth"
"Enough is enough. For the last couple of weeks, I have sat silently and watched people try to assassinate my character, destroy my reputation and my legacy. Sickening allegations have been made against me by individuals looking for a quick payday. Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged. I will fight for my name, my family and for the truth."- Sean Combs Diddy
All the sexual assault allegations level against Sean Diddy Combs
In November, the first allegations came from singer Cassie (Cassandra Ventura) initiated a federal lawsuit against her former partner Sean "Diddy" Combs, presenting shocking allegations of physical and sexual abuse spanning their relationship. The complaint outlined a range of alleged abuses, from physical assaults to compelling Ventura into sexual encounters with other men, climaxing in a rape incident at her home in 2018. Combs promptly settled the lawsuit within a day.
Following this, three more women have taken legal action against Combs, accusing him of diverse forms of abusive behavior, encompassing rape, non-consensual pornography, and sex trafficking.
One of the women, who is referred to as Jane Doe in the lawsuit, said she was 17 when Diddy and two other men drugged her, flew her to New York on a private jet, and raped her at his studio in 2003. She said the incident has "scarred her for life".
Another woman, Joi Dickerson-Neal, said Diddy attacked her in 1991, filmed the sexual encounter, and showed it to others. She said she was hospitalized for depression as a result. Diddy has settled one lawsuit with his former girlfriend Cassie Ventura, who accused him of multiple assaults over a decade. They reached an "amicable" agreement the day after she filed the suit.
On November 23, the fourth woman, Liza Gardner, filed a lawsuit just before the Adult Survivors Act expired. Gardner recounts an encounter with Combs and singer-songwriter Aaron Hall at an MCA Records event in 1990 or 1991. Returning to Hall’s apartment for an after-party, Gardner claims she was coerced into having sex with Combs after being offered more drinks.
The lawsuit further alleges that Combs assaulted her friend. Gardner characterizes the encounter as leaving her "shocked and traumatized." As she dressed, Hall allegedly entered the room, pinned her down, and compelled her into sexual activity.
The lawsuits were filed under a new law that allows adult survivors to sue
The lawsuits against Diddy were made possible by a new law in New York state, called the Adult Survivors Act, which was passed in 2022. The law created a one-year window for adult survivors of sexual abuse to sue their abusers, regardless of how long ago the abuse happened.
The law was inspired by the Child Victims Act, which had a similar provision for child survivors. The law aims to give justice to survivors who were unable to sue before because of the statute of limitations, which is the time limit for filing a lawsuit.
The law has also led to lawsuits against other celebrities, such as Jamie Foxx, Axl Rose, and Cuba Gooding Jr., who have also been accused of sexual misconduct. The law will expire on August 14, 2023, unless it is extended by the state legislature.
In the wake of these allegations, 18 businesses have disassociated from his e-commerce business Empower. Sean also stepped down as chairman of Revolt and now his new reality show is scraped. What is next for the business mogul?